Win The Weight
- Determine with the help of your physician how much weight has to be reduced.
- Set several short term realistic goals .
- Reward yourself each time you make progress (Not food items). (Like I will buy a new sandals if I reduce this much pounds or Kgs)
- Even small weight losses have shown to be beneficial.
- Make gradual changes in eating habits. (The human body reacts negatively when calories are reduced by slowing basal metabolic rate. This makes weight loss harder)
You will loose weight when you burn more calories than you consume. Hence eating less and being more active help in losing weight.
- Sound eating habits keep you out of putting on weight.
- Stay motivated to loss weight.
- Slow weight loss is the safest and most effective. (one to one and half pound per week).
- Gradual weight loss, promote long term loss of body fat.
- A person who is moderately active needs daily, 33 calories per kg of body weight to maintain his weight .
- Reducing calories intake by 300 per day and increasing the physical activity to burn 200 calories per day results in weight loss of 400 Gms per week.
To satisfy basic nutritional needs eat a variety of foods every day. Choose from each of the five food groups milk, meat, fruit, vegetable and cereals. Balanced food plans encourage making wise choices about everyday food choices. This type of diet helps to stay at your proper weight for life.
- Allow for an occasional treat.
- Evaluate your eating pattern.
- Try to cut down on foods high in fats and sugar.
- Determine the type of physical activity that suits your life style.
Regular aerobic exercise like brisk walking, jogging or swimming, is a key factor in achieving permanent weight loss and improving health
- Health experts recommend exercising 30 minutes or more on all, days of the week for maximum
- benefits. The exercises should be moderately vigorous to be most effective but not exhausting
Incorporate few simple measures to burn calories effectively. Like- taking an after dinner walk, using stairs instead of escalators or elevators, parking the car farther away to have a longer walk etc.
- Exercises also improve sense of well being ,decreases stress and decreases appetite in some.
10 Essential Tips
- Fry or sauté foods in a non-stick cook wear with low-calorie fat.
- Baking or boiling is recommended instead of frying.
- Use sugar substitutes while sweetening foods and beverages.
- Opt for light menus in restaurants, or purchase low-calorie or reduced-fat products at the grocery store.
- Never skip meals. Eat three to six times a day in smaller portions to avoid getting hungry.
- Use a smaller plate at mealtime to satisfy your psychological need to see a full plate.
- Eat and chew slowly. Stop eating before you feel full. (It takes 20 minutes for the stomach to tell the brain that it is full!)
- Weigh yourself on a regular schedule, but don’t become a slave to your scale.
- Reward yourself with pleasures other than food--buy some new clothes, get a different hair style, see a movie, visit a friend, etc.
To Reduce Obesity and Over Weight
In Ayurveda over weight persons are said to be unfit for any treatment. Many preparations have been illustrated to reduce obesity and make them fit for treatment.
Method of preparation
Put a table spoon of Triphala powder in a vessel and add a glass of water in it. Boil this until the water reduces to 1/4 th of the total quantity . Allow this decoction to cool. Filter the decoction and add a table spoon full of honey to this . This should be consumed in early hrs of the day in empty stomach.
SPICED RICE MANDA
Method of preparation
- Take equal quantities of spices mentioned above (3-6) and grind them to a coarse powder.
- Cook 1/4 teaspoon of this powder with two table spoon of rice in one big glass of water. Decant only liquid portion of this preparation add a pinch of salt to it . This can be used instead of soups.
Consumption of boiled and cooled water helps to reduce weight.